1. Mosquitos are considered the deadliest animal on earth. They are said to be responsible for 1-2 million deaths per year. What is the second deadliest animal?
2. The southern part of Ambergris Caye is called “The Mosquito Coast”. In fact, the 1986 movie “Mosquito Coast” starring Harrison Ford and River Phoenix was filmed partially in Belize. True or False?
3. Females are the ones that bite you. What do the males eat?
4. How long can a mosquito egg survive? A. 1-2 weeks B. 2-3 months C. Up to 5 years
5. What famous movie (and novel) involves scientists removing a dead mosquito from a piece of amber and using its DNA for cloning?
6. A major engineering feat was seriously delayed (20+ years) by mosquitos, in fact, over 22,000 French workers died. What project was it?
7. What drink was introduced by the British Army to its colonies to fight the spread of malaria?
8. The spread of Bubonic Plague in 14th century Europe (which is estimated to have killed 75 million people) is attributed to mosquitos carrying the disease from one person to another. True or False?
9. What is the biggest natural predator of mosquitos? A. Dragonflies B. Bats C. Frogs & Toads
10. In the interest of science, Arctic researchers uncovered their chests, arms, legs and reported as many as 9000 mosquito bites person person, per minute. At this rate, how long would it take the mosquitos to drain one half of an average man’s blood. A. 30 minutes B. 2 hours C. 24 hours
1. Hippopatumus. Did you know they can gallop up to 18mph too? Eeek.
3. Flower nectar
5. Jurassic Park
6. The Panama Canal: In world history, the only major engineering feat hampered solely by bugs is the digging of the Panama canal, during which mosquitoes contributed to the deaths of nearly 22,000 French workers from malaria in the years 1881 to 1889. It was only after the project was abandoned and sold to the United States that it was completed, though at the expense of over 5000 more lives, despite precautions.
7. Gin and tonic. Quinine, the flavor in tonic water, was the first effective treatment for malaria. It is very bitter and gin was used to mask the taste. Modern tonic water contains much less quinine.
8. False. It is attributed to fleas which were carried by rodents.
9. A. Dragonflies (I promise not to swat at you guys anymore)
10. B. 2 hours Sorry…I had to post this picture. Just imagine 9000 bites in one minute.