Horrific Fire Ravages Ramon’s Village in San Pedro, Belize

Ramon’s Village, one of the oldest resorts on the island of Ambergris Caye, started on fire this evening and burned out of control for over an hour.  The structure is mostly wood and palapa and went up quickly.

I hear from reliable sources that the fire started in the laundry room and the fire department was called.  The fire became out of control before they arrived and the restaurant and most of the resort has burned.

The power in town was out during most of the blaze.  The fire could be seem as far north as 7 miles past the bridge.

No other houses or buildings around Ramon’s have caught fire.

The blaze is now UNDER control and I am hearing that no one was hurt.  I certainly pray that is true.  Here are pictures of the fire.


A propane tank opened…hissing was scary.IMG_3837 IMG_3841 The view from the alley next to Dixie Bowen’s home.IMG_3844

From the road by Island Supermarket.IMG_3845 IMG_3846

People watching.

I will be there early tomorrow morning to report more.  How horrible.

Please LIKE my facebook page for more updates.

  • Steve Parks

    may all be ok

  • How horrible. I stayed at Ramon’s Village on my visit to your island and absolutely loved everything about the place. Said to hear that I will have to find someplace else when I return.

  • Belize Blog

    I’ll see how bad the damage is in the morning but yes, it will be QUITE a bit of rebuilding. They have done it before…with hurricanes.

  • Debbie Carmichael

    I had dinner there and loved it. I hope no one was hurt.

    • Belize Blog

      That is the most important thing.

  • Pingback: Worst fire since Ramon’s rages in Boca Del Rio area of San Pedro, Belize « Bound for Belize()