I’m not even sure I could finish! The Truck Stop does a ridiculously island-comprehensive tricky gross job! Take a look. This is a long one – but it’s worth it. The clues are super fun, super clever. Even those who have lived in San Pedro all their lives might get tripped up!
The Amazing Race is an American reality competition show in which typically eleven teams of two race around the world. Here in San Pedro Belize, The Truck Stop (the island center for all things clever and fun) hosts their own AMAZING RACE that sends teams of 3 or 4 all over the island with some incredibly smart clues. Clues that test how well you REALLY know Ambergris Caye with a bunch of
I attended the start of the game – and asked The Truck Stop to share the game so that we could play along – without getting wet…or eating anything gross – from the comfort of our own homes.
Clues first. And pictures of the teams by Truck Stop.
All the answers at the end. Could YOU win the Amazing Race San Pedro?
But first – an ad from me. Don’t forget to get your copy!
THE AMAZING RACE!
All teams lined up at 1:30 along the edge of the Truck Stop. Names were announced. And then…the first clue!
CLUE ONE: HOW MANY LICKS!
Proceed to the challenge station THAT HAS YOUR TEAM NUMBER in the games area at Truck Stop. There you will find an ice ball with a key in the center. Your challenge is to lick the ice ball to release your key.
YOU MUST LICK THE ICE BALL. NO TRYING TO CRACK IT, PUT IT IN WATER OR USE ANY OTHER METHOD TO GET THE ICE BALL TO MELT FASTER.
YOU CAN SWITCH OUT TEAMMATES IF NECESSARY BUT THAT COULD BE GROSS.
CHALLENGE #2: LAND and SEA
1. Leave your golf cart at Truck Stop. With the key, all team members must find their way to the back of Treasure Island Trading Post by following the sign for “Free Parking”. There is a split rail fence to the left where you must find the lock that fits your key and unlock your team’s water vessel.
2. One team member must paddle out and go in between the two PVC pipes in the water. Grab YOUR TEAM’S NUMBERED puzzle bag from the PVC pipes, and paddle to Rum Dog. You will need to tie your vessel to the back of Rum Dog. (Safety monitors will direct you.) 3. All other team members must head to Rum Dog on foot. 4. Once all team members have reached Rum Dog, ON THE LOWER LEVEL, you can begin to solve the puzzle. Unscramble the tiles to spell out your next destination. 5. Before heading back to Truck Stop to get your golf cart, your team MUST return the water vessel & paddles by land and re-lock it where you picked it up. Leave
the key in the lock.
CHALLENGE #3 SCREW THIS! THIS IS NUTS!
Using only chopsticks one team member must sort a collection of mixed washers, nuts, screws and nails into separate receptacles. You cannot touch or pick-up the containers and can only use chopsticks. You can switch out team members if necessary. Once all items are sorted correctly, notify the Challenge Monitor who will inspect before giving your team the next clue.
CLUE FOR CHALLENGE #4
IT’S PRETTY PRETTY PRINCESS TIME!
The TALLEST member of your team is going to receive a beautiful makeover today. Something they will brag about for years to come. Step 1: The tallest member of the team has a seat on the stool. They are the PRETTY PRINCESS and its time to be pampered!
Step 2: Pick a different member of your team to be the makeup artist. They should be talented
and experienced. Now place the blindfold firmly over this team members’ eyes. They are the
BLIND ARTISTE. This is the last time they will get to see for the duration of the challenge.
1. The remaining team members must verbally coach the BLIND ARTISTE thru this challenge
while the Pretty Princess remains silent.
2. Sighted team members not allowed to touch the ARTISTE, the PRINCESS, or any of the
3. ALL of the instructions must be completed by the BLIND ARTISTE with blindfold still on.
Once the makeover is complete, the Challenge Monitor will give your team the next clue.
CLUE FOR CHALLENGE #5
The musical lyrics below will help you find your way to the next challenge location.
“Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air”
Go to this destination to receive your next challenge!
ORANGE YOU GLAD RELAY
This is a TEAM CHALLENGE
1. Using only your neck, shoulders, and chest, you must pass an orange to each other from the start to finish line.
2. No walking with orange. No using hands. Players move to the end of the line to continue passing.
IF THE ORANGE DROPS, YOUR TEAM MUST START THE RELAY OVER.
Once you have crossed the finish line the Challenge Monitor will give you the next clue.
CLUE FOR CHALLENGE #6
Let’s go fishing! Make your way deep into San Pedrito to find this location.
This is an INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE
1. The SHORTEST member of your team must do this challenge.
2. You must now choose a fish, clean it, skin it, filet it with no bones and package it for sale. (Regulation for sale includes leaving a 1” x 1” piece of skin visible on the filet.)
3. A sample fish filet is available for viewing. See your Challenge Monitor if you have any questions.
3. Other members of your team can give you advice but cannot physically help you.
Once your fish is properly packaged for sale, discard all waste in the buckets
provided. Then the Challenge Monitor will give your team the next clue.
CLUE FOR CHALLENGE #7
SOLVE THE EQUATION:
(UB 40’s Most Popular Song) – (Red x 2) + (defunct website feat. 6-second long video loops) =
Make your way to this location. You will then choose one member of your team to go inside to complete the next challenge. All other team members MUST wait outside while your team member completes the challenge and receives the next clue.
Elito grabs a quick cone for energy.
CLUE FOR CHALLENGE #8
EMERGENCY SERVICES WARNING
If you notice a dramatic recession of coastal water from the shoreline you should:
1. Seek an indoor space by the shoreline
2.Consume large amounts of sushi
3. Save your breath, you’re gonna need it!
THE LOCO-COCO TREE
This is a TEAM CHALLENGEUsing only the materials provided, you must make your Loco-Coco tree match the sample provided. We are looking for healthy, robust trees that have the correct number of balloons and not too much PVC pipe peeking through. The color of your balloons does not need to match the sample tree.
1. You may inspect and gently touch the sample tree. Do not move it from its location.
2. The base balloons MUST be blown up by using your mouth.
3. A balloon pump is provided for inflation of the palm-frond balloons. It can be used only on these balloons. You can use only ONE hand pump at a time. DO NOT TAKE A HAND PUMP WITH YOU!
4. Once the Challenge Monitor has approved your crazy palm tree, your team will receive
the next challenge.
THEN and NOW
San Pedro is always changing! Over the last 10 years, many restaurants, bars & businesses have closed or changed their names.
1. Using the Bingo card, you must find these old locations and take a group photo of your team in front of the signage of its new inhabitants.
SHAKE IT UP
This is a TEAM CHALLENGE
Find your team station. Using the items and ingredients provided, construct an ice cream making machine.
1. Place three scoops of ice and the container of rock salt inside the large #10 can.
2. In the small can, put in cream, milk and flavoring. Seal the small can tightly. Then place the small can inside the large can and seal the large can with the lid provided.
3. You must now shake it until your ice cream is made. TIPs: Once you get started, you may need to open the large can and then the small can to push down the contents, so that the cream freezes evenly. Use the plastic knife provided. You may also need to add more ice if
the cream is not freezing. Then re-seal small & large cans and continue shaking. This process could take up to 15 minutes.
4. One the ice cream is made, have the Challenge Monitor inspect. Now one team member must eat the ice
5. Once the ice cream has been eaten, you will be given a token that must be presented to the official…
NOW RETURN TO WHERE IT ALL BEGAN!
(I’m getting tired – and I didn’t even participate – this race is SERIOUS!)
STOP! You can’t cross the finish line just yet!
1. Remember that token you received at the ROAD BLOCK. It has a number on it.
2. Your team can now get in the pool to retrieve the duck with your token number on it.
3. Once you find your duck, present the token and your duck to the Challenge Monitor to be able to cross the finish line.
DID YOU GET ALL THAT?!?!?
Now…let’s get to the answers. The VERY BEST PLACE to see all of it is on the Truck Stop Instagram Stories. GREAT video.
1. Truck Stop – CHALLENGE: How Many Licks?
These pics are mine! I was there and…be glad you didn’t see the videos!
2. Lisa’s Kayaks/Rum Dog – CHALLENGE: Land & Sea
3. Someplace South – CHALLENGE: Screw This!
4. Stax – CHALLENGE: Pretty Pretty Princess
5. Hotel California – CHALLENGE: Orange You Glad Relay
Check out where this sign is in My Drive South
6. Samuel Ayala’s Fish Market – CHALLENGE: Filet-o-Fish
7. Wine de Vine – CHALLENGE: Become a Sommelier
8. Tsunami Sushi – CHALLENGE: Loco-Coco Tree
9. CHALLENGE: Then & Now
This one is so GOOD. I had to ask on one of them. Blackbeard’s Hideout! I even wrote a blog AGES ago (when I first started) about it!
Let’s start from the top.
Sweet Basil = Legend’s (I’m not sure what it’s called now…or if it is even open!)
Sail Away Cafe = Maxie’s
BlackBeard’s Hideout = AJs
Cook’s Inc = Patz Deli
Playa Chel (GOOD ONE!) = Sandbar –> This location actually opened as Blind Dog too!
Wait…this could take WAY too LONG! Another tricky one = YouCan Toucan –> Now PUR Boutique Hotel and Burrito Spot
10. Patz Deli, Keller Williams – ROAD BLOCK CHALLENGE: Shake it Up
The ice cream was some sort of SHRIMP flavor and apparently…people were getting a bit sick. I love everyone handing Vic beers here to “help out”.
11.Wayo’s – CLUE
12.Truck Stop – CHALLENGE: Duck Hunt
13.Truck Stop – FINISH