The Prime Minister of Belize, Health Department officials and the Belize Tourism Board held a lengthy 9 am Virtual Press Briefing billed by the PM as “Covid specific” – so no questions/responses on politics. November 11th is a public holiday this year – Election Day.
Here is my summarization. I do expect, with elections coming up, that land borders MAY also ease…we shall see.
Now to the details of the meeting…
The Prime Minister of Belize, Health Department officials and the Belize Tourism Board are holding/held a 9 am Virtual Press Briefing billed by the PM as “Covid specific” – so no questions/responses on politics. November 11th is a public holiday this year – Election Day.
Here are the updated numbers for COVID-19 for our country.
PM says the overall it is a “grim situation” – 2 of the deaths were parents (parents-in-law) of two government ministers. He expressed strong condolences to all.
Latest decisions of the National Oversight Committee that he continues to Chair until the General Elections of November 11th:
The NOC meeting was held 2 days ago and these are the highlights:
- The 10-day quarantine for Belizeans and Permanent Residents/Long Staying Foreigners will no longer be prescribed and penalized under SI 136 (starting Sunday night) = QUARANTINE REQUIREMENT WILL BE DROPPED
- There is no real way to police these people – feel it is better to move to a regime of masking and social distancing (Which is the LAW)
- Since they come with a negative PCR test (72-hour max) or are tested at the airport – it is inconsistent – when there are masses of untested Belizeans – to require them to quarantine
- Belizeans/Long-term Foreigners will NO LONGER be required to write to Foreign Affairs for permission to come to Belize
Those Leaving Belize
- The govt of Belize will not give you a PCR test unless it is Essential Travel
- Private Medical facilities can administer tests under the guidelines of the Ministry of Health
We need to turn up the Tourism Economy which is now just a trickle
- The Safe Corridor protocols will continue but will be transformed
- We are going to move away from Safe Corridor protocols will now be “recommendations” rather than illegal activity
- “The local population is infecting itself” – the tourists come and are negative as pre-tested or tested at the airport – why should they be confined to one property?
- Tourists must still stay at Gold Standard Properties but can move freely
REMEMBER: MASKS, SOCIAL DISTANCING AND GATHERINGS LIMITED TO 10 PERSONS IS STILL THE LAW for citizens and visitors – for all
- Request to open gyms has not been approved yet
- Protocols and plan for policing have no been finalizing yet
- Gyms are potentially extremely dangerous in the spread of the virus
Belize Tourism Board will be expanding Gold Standard Certification to all businesses in the tourism industry – including restaurants, car/golf cart rentals, gift shops…
Additionally, restaurants, formerly allowed a maximum of 10 person in total inside, can now open up – depending on square footage. No longer strict 10-person restriction
And then lastly…the HEADLINE in the local news this morning…COVID positive individuals will not be allowed to vote. This…I need to ponder… 🙂